COVID-19 update as of July 31, 2021
We are back to training inside in our dojo, read our guidelines below:
- All students and instructors who are eligible for a vaccine must be vaccinated in order to train with us, unless medically unable.
- Any student who is feeling ill or has been in contact with those who are ill is asked to practice harmony by staying home.
- Students who wish to mask are welcome to do so.
- We will monitor the risk level of the Twin Cities metro counties on the Covid Act Now website. Along with requiring that all students be vaccinated when eligible, we will implement the following based on the current risk level:
- Green / Low Risk: training as normal.
- Yellow / Medium Risk: Youth students (many of whom cannot be vaccinated) will train with masks.
- Orange / High Risk: All students train with masks. Small groups of vaccinated students (4 or less) can train without masks if all present agree.
- Red / Very High risk: All students train with masks and training will be distanced. Class sizes will be restricted.
- Purple / Severe Risk: training will be held outdoors or via Zoom.
Current students who would prefer to train at home can find links to our videos on our Aikido at Home page. Please email us if you need the password.
Aikido is a traditional Japanese form of Budo, a way of study that includes both physical and mental training. Aikido is often translated as “the way of harmony with nature or universal energy.” At Aikido Yoshokai of Minnesota, we teach physical techniques as well as philosophy related to Aikido that often relates to how we can create harmony in our daily relationships and communities.
We practice and teach Yoshokai Aikido, developed by Takashi Kushida-sensei. Kushida-sensei’s aikido was developed through decades of hard training and teaching experience. Yoshokai Aikido focuses on the underlying principle behind Aikido and the importance of relationship between the person doing the technique (shite) and the person receiving the technique (uke).
In our adult and youth classes, you will learn pins, controls, throws, and safe falling. You will practice techniques with other students in a supportive, non-competitive atmosphere. Most importantly, you will be practicing with teachers and students whose goal is to practice harmony with everyone.